Skip to main content

Heard it through the grapevine about this adoption rule change….

According to the JJ Act, once the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) declares the child free for adoption, agency can place the child in pre-adoption foster care and then initiates the adoption legalization process in the court. I heard from a source recently that this rule has been changed in the state of Tamilnadu beginning October 1st.

Pre-Adoption foster care refers to placing a child in the home of a prospective adoptive parents home while the finalization process is underway. This is done in the best interest of the child to reduce the stay of the child in the adoption agency as the finalization of adoption in the court could take several months. But unfortunately there are some agencies delaying the filing of papers and putting the child’s adoption status in limbo.

As per my understanding, changed rule says that the agency can only place a child in pre-adoption foster care after the papers are filed (not finalized) for legalization in the court.

Like any rule, I have no doubt in my mind that this is only been done in the best interest of the child but it does seem to have one downside and that is lengthening of stay of the child in the adoption agency. This also places higher burden on the agencies to do everything correctly by the book before they file papers in the court because failing to do so can only increase their costs by keeping the child for longer duration of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now, you too can restore missing/ lost/ trafficked children in India

After our recent work to restore three missing boys to their homes, it got me thinking about how to do this work faster and to include more people. I explored of doing it in various ways but they all require lot of money and human resources. So I thought of an easy way to do this work and that is by using social microblogging site www.twitter.com. I set up an account at http://www.twitter.com/indiachildalert and this is how it is going to work. If you’re in India, send an SMS (Short Messaging Service) from your mobile phone as FOLLOW INDIACHILDALERT to 53000 and that’s it (Yes!! Can you believe it? You don’t even have to have a personal twitter account). Then on, anytime we have a missing/ lost/ trafficked child with us, we’ll post it on the above mentioned twitter account and you’ll receive the same information as SMS in your mobile. Don’t worry about receiving long SMS’s from us because twitter only allows the sender to send a message in 140 characters. If at any time, you c...

Unforgettable family reunion

On April 30th, a little boy of 9 years old was brought to us by a local NGO who in turn received the child who was rescued by the Railway Protection Force. Child – Mohammad Fazulu, looked healthy & proportionately built for age but nervous. When asked about the location, he says ‘Bombay’. We put an esc ort to send the boy to Mumbai so that the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) there can restore the child back to his family. Child had been staying with two other boys (one boys is from Assam and the other boy is from Rajasthan) at a government reception home in Vellore. Last month, when I went to Assam as a resource person for National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD), I took the information of Assam boy with me. When I made enquiries, and sought the help of CWC members there, family was tracked in two hours time. Then I thought to work on the other two children as well when I return to Vellore. Rajasthani boy is from a small town and when I googled the poli...

What’s the difference between a ‘welfare based’ approach vs ‘rights based’ approach of child care?

Over the last 20 years, child care approach has evolved tremendously in India towards ‘rights based’ approach, thanks to the enactment of Juvenile and Justice Act (JJ Act).   If you’re running a child care institution and not following a rights based approach, you may be violating some of the fundamental rights and/ or fundamental principles of JJ act.